All My Brain Where stuff from my brain lands

July 10, 2010

Google map with Utah Repeaters

Filed under: Miscellaneous — Tags: , , , — Dennis @ 11:08 am

I thought it would be helpful to visualize where all the radio repeaters are in my area. I found a lack of map information available for this sort of thing but I found readily available CSV data with the information. Google Fusion Tables to the rescue!

I tried to embed the map in this post but for some reason the google map terrain data wasn’t showing up when I combined everything with the template. For the time being, just access the separate page.

Utah Repeater Map

Enjoy

12 Comments »

1. So is a radio repeater something that boosts the signal of a radio station? Is it the same thing as a retransmitter?

Comment by Christianforums — August 12, 2010 @ 10:10 am

2. Um no. And all the comment links have nofollow in the rel tag too by the way.

Comment by Dennis — August 12, 2010 @ 10:14 am

3. I noticed that. But what does that have to do with Repeaters?

Comment by Christianforums — August 12, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

4. Nothing, only todo with your Christian forums link and SEO. Mentioned because since you commented on another post, but with a different URL, it looks more like you’re attempting to spam search engines than like you’re interested in what an amateur radio repeater is.

Radio repeaters do just what the name implies. They rebroadcast a radio signal. They do not boost the original signal, they create a new signal that repeats what the original signal was carrying.

Comment by Dennis — August 12, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

5. Thank you for posting this! I discovered it to day while researching the repeaters in Utah, for use during an upcoming hike up Nebo mountain. I’m getting my first radio (IC-V80) and I want to try and make some contacts from the peak while I’m there. This has helped me find likely candidates.

Comment by N7TOX — September 2, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

6. You’re welcome! Finally got a radio eh. I talked to you the day you got your Extra class exam passed.

AE7GV

Comment by Dennis — September 2, 2010 @ 4:05 pm

7. Hey! Yeah, I think I remember you. 🙂 I don’t have it /YET/, but barring a disaster, I’ll have the money on Saturday, and I’m running up to the shop in salt lake to pick one up.

Comment by N7TOX — September 2, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

8. Yup, yup, it’s me. I’m still lurking on plug too. I use a Yeasu VX-7R. Handhelds are nice but I’d like to get a mobile solution at some point. Much more Tx power available.

Comment by Dennis — September 2, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

9. Yeah. I want to get a radio in my car, but that’s a much more expensive proposition, so I’m happy to be getting /anything/. I’d LOVE a Yaesu, but no one local sells them, and I need cheap right now, so I’ll settle for an Icom.

Comment by N7TOX — September 2, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

10. Well, I got my radio. 🙂 Ended up with a FT-250R from Yaesu. Got several local repeaters, and national simplex programmed in, but no one seems to be talking on them. You happen to know any frequencies people use around here?

Comment by N7TOX — September 10, 2010 @ 9:27 am

11. The Utah county ARES repeaters have people on them fairly regularly. There are a couple repeaters on Lake Mt that have people on them quite often too. I’ll post check my radio and post what I have programmed in.

Comment by Dennis — September 10, 2010 @ 9:32 am

12. Another necro-comment. 😉

Just letting you know, the 146.760 repeater on Lake Mountain is very active these days. I’ve actually joined a ‘club’ that meets on there. More of a social group than a radio club, but we have a lot of fun, and run a net on Thursday evenings, if you even get inspired to listen in. Otherwise, I’m on there most mornings around 7:30 on my way to work, and evenings around 5:15 or so on my way home. 🙂

Comment by N7TOX — August 23, 2011 @ 10:11 pm