Pardon my dust

I found that my theme was not working correctly in Internet Explorer (Gee, imagine that.)

Rather than search for another, I’ve decided to tweak it myself. Pardon my lack of styles for a bit.

Edit There. I’ve created a new template, based on my old template’s stylesheet, that uses YUI Grids instead of a home grown template layout. Not that I’m opposed to creating your own layout, but hey, I really didn’t want to find out why my left column displayed at the bottom of the page instead of where it was supposed to in Internet Explorer.

Anyway, this is still a work in progress. I need to go through the styles that I didn’t tweak much and delete things I don’t need. I also need to clean up the styles on some of the templates. I also need to re-comment all the template pages. Perhaps when I get a moment I’ll upload this somewhere.

My New Bookmark Widget

Ok, I found a widget that could replace the bookmark widget by simply allowing a customizable interface to the wp_list_bookmarks function. This is a highly customizable function that not only lets you grab all the bookmarks, but allows customization of how they are displayed. The widget gives you an interface that lets you change parameters to the function without having to modify the template.

My 1st attempt at using the widget didn’t work. After examining the HTML, I realized that there were a few tags I needed to not leave at the default. I got the links to work how I want making the following modification in my functions file of the theme I’m using.

function widget_mytheme_blogroll() {
?>
-<h3>Blogroll</h3>
- <ul>
- <?php get_links(-1, '<li>', '</li>', ' - '); ?>
- <?php
+ wp_list_bookmarks('title_before=<h3>&title_after=</h3>&category_before=&category_after=');
- </ul>
-<? php
} ?>

This gave me the category tree and also changed the titles of the categories to be in the same format that the rest of the template was in.

Now that I’d figured out which parameters were of importance to me, I gave the link widget another go. I found that the reason I was having problems is that the category_before and category_after parameters are always displaying <li>,</li> respectively instead of my desired blank setting. I tried spaces, &nbsp; and even random strings. Nothing seemed to work so I went back to my hacked template function instead. Oh well, I guess I can hack additional themes not that I’ve got the basics of what I want down. It’d be nice to get that working in the widget though.